I made my usual Saturday visit, this one being the one between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. Fay was in the dining room, waiting for the trivia contest to start. Since the normal Shabbat afternoon entertainer has been out recovering from knee replacement, there is a new crew. The joke lady (whom I mentioned earlier) does the contest and another couple serves the ice cream. Although Fay wears a bright orange bracelet that identifies her as having diabetes, she was sitting with a huge double-dip of strawberry and vanilla when I arrived. I switched it out for sugar free chocolate. I assume this was a rare slip. Peter, the nurse on the Saturday swing shift, seems prepared for the blood glucose spikes of the diabetic residents on Saturday evening.
I showed Fay the pictures we took when Margie and I were in New Jersey and New York for Rosh Hashana. She got a kick out of seeing Alice and Simon, who are growing up fast. The playground pictures were a big hit. I reminded Fay that Sarah is pregnant, expecting a little boy in February. Fay was mildly confused about that news, but we'll keep reinforcing it.
The one image that seemed to break through the fog was a short video of Evan blowing his shofar. Evan is the baal tekiyah at a new congregation starting in Jackson Heights. He brought his shofar to Wendy's to entertain Simon and Alice when Wendy had everyone over for a Holiday meal. If you look closely you can see Alice hiding behind Evan and Wendy's dog trying to escape.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment